Executive Director of the EU Public Interest Clinic – HEC Paris and NYU Law in Paris
New York University School of Law and HEC Paris are seeking qualified applicants for a full-time, term-limited non-faculty position as the Executive Director of the EU Public Interest Clinic in Paris.
The Executive Director will be responsible for:
- Soliciting, reviewing, evaluating and scoping NGO requests for assistance;
- Engaging in case selection;
- Project managing clinic projects from start to finish;
- Teaching clinical skills (e.g. legal writing and research) under close faculty supervision and supervising students in all aspects of the clinic’s work;
- Coordinating the clinic’s network of pro bono volunteers (inter alia by identifying relevant expert academics, lawyers/law firms and law clinics to collaborate with and shaping their involvement in clinic projects);
- Engaging in advocacy and institutional communications to promote the clinic’s mission and goals;
- Organizing the annual clinic event for NGO clients in Brussels
- Handling media inquiries (from leading, international media outlets), and
- Producing the clinic annual report.
The initial term of the appointment will be November 1, 2016 to May 1 2017. Subsequently the agreement will be evaluated for renewal annually.
The candidate must :
- hold a law degree,
- have strong and demonstrable knowledge of European Union Law
- and be a qualified lawyer in at least one jurisdiction with at least two years of practical experience.
The candidate should also have a good understanding of EU policymaking, a public interest vocation and an entrepreneurial attitude. The candidate should be outgoing, enthusiastic and energetic with the ability to motivate students and lead them and teams of pro bono volunteers towards delivering high-quality legal output.
- A PhD and/or
- Previous teaching experience (in particular clinical teaching); and/or
- Exposure to US legal education (in particular clinical legal education); and/or
- Exposure to legal practice at a large international law firm (in particular EU/regulatory practice) and working with junior lawyers; and/or
- Exposure to legal practice in government (in particular EU/regulatory practice) and working with junior lawyers; and/or
- Knowledge of European languages (in particular French).
Please note that this opportunity closes on August 1, 2016.
Candidates for this position should provide: a one page cover letter/statement of interest; and a two page resume or C.V. to Prof. Alberto Alemanno, Faculty Director of the EU Public Interest Clinic at firstname.lastname@example.org with Lamin Khadar, Executive Director of the EU Clinic in CC, at email@example.com
NYU School of Law and HEC Paris are committed to a policy of equal opportunity.